Calm tip #1: Relax your body every chance you get
“Body awareness not only anchors you in the present moment but also strengthens the immune system, and the body’s ability to heal itself” (Excerpt) Eckhart Tolle
You may not even notice, but your body stores and holds tension and stress every single day from the activities you do, and thoughts you have.
And unfortunately so few of us make the time to really relax and let it go.
What if you could access the calm that resides within you (yes it’s there) on demand?
Try this simple body meditation
- Find a comfortable quiet space to sit (or lay down) and get as comfortable as you can
- Take a couple of deep breaths
- Check your 7 point posture (Legs, back, shoulders, hands, neck, jaw, eyes)
- Using the 7 points, slowly bring your awareness back to each point body and inwardly relax
- Take notice of how each part feels as it relaxes
- Feel the sensations from within – can you notice tingling, heat, coolness – or something else: simply notice without judgement
- Notice where you may be holding tension and invite relaxation
- If a part feels more tense you might like to linger and imagine breathing into the part, and surrendering on the exhale
- If you’re doing this in bed before sleep you can simply drift away. If you’ve got a timer, or need to resume your day, take a few moments to bring your awareness back to your breath, and the sounds around you
- When you’re ready to complete your meditation gently open your eyes, and resume your day with a smile 🙂
This meditation doesn’t need to take long – 3-5 minutes in your lunch break – or even at the traffic lights, can train your body to melt away stress and tension, leaving you feeling calm and relaxed.
Let me know how you go with it, and I look forward to seeing you online – or in person, soon x
P.S. This is the 1st week of my new 6 week online series Uncover Your Calm. You can stream for free, or buy the class pass ticket to receive all the recorded replays plus be automatically booked into all remaining live sessions (Aug 4 – Sept 8th) . Learn more here
P.P.S. This online series is based on the meditations featured in my book Pyjama Meditation – if you don’t have a copy you can get one here