Meditation Challenge: Counting The Breath
Over the holiday break, when we’re not meeting once a week, it can be really easy to let your practice fall to the wayside. That’s why I’d like to invite you to join me for a 21 Day Meditation Challenge – are you in?
The meditation I’ve chosen for this challenge has been a favourite in my groups over the years, and is featured in my book Pyjama Meditation. Below is an instructional video, and a downloadable audio, to help you get started. Whether you commit to 3 mins, 5 mins, 10, 15 or 20 mins – just make time for you every day, to help keep your mind stable and balanced – by simply counting.
I’ll be hanging out in the facebook group over the holidays – and I invite you to meet me there and share your progress. And hey, if you miss a day, or two, or a few – that’s OK. But making time regularly is the key to meditation re-firing those neural pathways for more peace and calm. Just do your best with it – and enjoy the practice.
Counting Meditation Audio (9mins)
Download PDF Instruction Sheet: CountingTheBreathInstructions
- Get yourself into a comfortable meditation position
- Check your posture – Legs, Back/Spine, Shoulders/Arms, Hands, Neck, Jaw, Eyes
- Bring your gentle awareness and attention to your breath
- On the inhale think: ‘and’ or leave blank
- On the exhale think: 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 (rounds from 1-4)
- You may like to work your way up to 7, then 10 etc.
- Continue for your scheduled time (you might like to use a timer on your phone)
- To end, allow the count to drift away, bring your awareness back to your body, when you’re ready, open your eyes, have a stretch
- Sit for a few moments before going about your day
I hope you enjoy this meditation – and feel free to share this post with anyone who you think might need some of this mindful goodness 🙂