Mardi MAY’s Book Group
Interested in expanding your knowledge and meeting up with like minded friends?
If you’re anything like me, you LOVE books. And part of a sustainable regular meditation and/or yoga practice is staying motivated – and this is where books can really help!
Reading other points of view, wisdom and practices from those that are already walking the path can do wonders for your experience. And, if you’re anything like me, you find this kind of study fun 🙂
For those that can’t make book group meet ups, but like to read meditation and yoga stuff, I’ve also included a our past reading list below which you might like to explore.
How does Book Group work?
This book group has been a work in progress and creation, at present it runs like this:
- For those that are interested we’ll be reading a book over each term at our own pace (terms run from 9-11wks)
- Towards the end of term I’ll email book group participants with time options to meet at a cafe or communal space to discuss. This may be at the end of term, during the break, or the beginning of the following term
- The venue will be south – like Deep Blue Cafe on Moana Esplanade (tbc per meetup)
- Joining book group is free – the only costs are the book (if you decide to buy it) and any coffee/tea/treats you buy at the meetups
And please keep in mind – I want this group to be a group creation, so please don’t hesitate to let me know your thoughts 🙂
What will you discuss?
As a rough guide to how we’ll discuss the book I invite you to consider the following:
- What did you like or dislike about the book?
- Were there any insights (a-ha moments) or practices you were particularly interested in?
- What was your favourite verse/quote/passage?
- How did you enjoy the author’s writing style?
- Has this book given you any inspiration for further study or practice?
- How would you review this book? (eg. out of 5 with comment)
What are you reading now?
Term 2 2019 – Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsch
Neal Donald Walsch was experiencing a low period in his life when he decided to write a letter to God, venting his frustrations. As he finished his letter, he was moved to continue writing – and out came extraordinary answers to his questions. This is his story.
Why I chose it
This is my favourite spiritual book, and to be honest it’s the reason I began a book group. You might say I’ve been saving it lol. Now if you’re anything like me, having ‘God’ in the title can be a bit of a deterrent, however I urge you to give it a read anyway. This will be my 5th time to read book 1 – and I’ve read many of his other books too. I LOVE them! The humour and insight contained has touched me deeply, and my wish is that it does the same for you.
Past Book Group Texts
- Term 1, 2019: ‘The Alchemist’ by Paulo Coelho
- Term 4, 2018: ‘Mindfulness For Beginners’ by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Term 3, 2018: ‘Enlightenment to Go’ by David Michie
- Term 2, 2018: ‘A New Earth’ by Eckhart Tolle
Where can I get book group books?
- I purchase limited copies to sell – so you may be able to buy from me at sessions where I have my little ‘shop’. Cash is preferred but credit card purchases are also available (small fee applies)
- You can also purchase online through places like Booktopia.com.au and BookDepository.com or Amazon.com.au for e-books
- Or, request to order into your local book store (if you have one) or request to borrow from your local library (if you don’t plan to mark it, which I often do for my book group/study texts)
- I also offer a book buying service – if you don’t like to order online. See more details below
I don’t know where I’d be without my books, and I know many people are the same. For my ‘other job’ I work in libraries, so for me the value of books and reading is a big part of life. Let me know if you have any more questions here 🙂
Book Buying Service
Don’t like ordering online? I’ll do it for you 🙂
For a small service fee of $5 per order, plus the cost of the book/s, I’m happy to:
- Source the best online option/price
- Pay for the book with my own online accounts (pre-payment required)
- Have it sent either directly to you, or have your order delivered to me – to give to you at class/session (or maybe delivered if you live close by)
Please note: postage and credit card fees may apply. Total will be advised before ordering, and order will only be placed once payment is received.
Any questions please contact me here